August 7, 2009
• Researchers at UC Berkeley have taught rats to play "Hot Cross Buns" on a specially-made piano.
• The average book about computer software takes eight months to write, edit and publish. The average piece of software has a major update every 14 months.
• In an average year, three people die in accidents involving particle accelerators.
• Apollo 11 used 129 cubic meters of fuel to fly to the moon and back. This gives it a fuel efficiency comparable to a large SUV or pickup truck.
• 71 percent of consumer grade rulers are more than five percent longer or shorter than their markings suggest.