May 1, 2007
• The average amount of money owed by those Americans who are subject to the Alternative Minimum Tax is $521,000. The median is $4,721.
• The most common first name among IRS agents is Douglas.
• From the 1940s through the 1970s there was a federal tax allowance for any U.S. citizen who owned and operated a Dutch-style windmills east of the Mississippi River.
• While the IRS states that preparing tax returns is a science, people who have Bachelor of Arts degrees tend to be more accurate than those with Bachelor of Science degrees when doing their tax forms.
• J. Edgar Hoover was scheduled to be audited seven different times yet he was, in fact, never visited by an IRS agent.