December 15, 2006
• A 747 jumbo jet has the same lifting power as every person in Indiana holding their hand out of a car traveling at 60 MPH.
• Electric cars have 15 times the rate of fatal vehicle-on-pedestrian accidents, seemingly because the pedestrian doesn't hear it approaching.
• The personal wireless telegraph is generally seen as the precursor to the modern cell phone and texting. First deployed in New York City in 1913 by Marconi's Wireless Telegraph Company, it was a commercial failure partly because of the outbreak of World War I, but mostly because most people refused to learn Morse code.
• If identity theft continues to grow at its current rate, by 2015, Americans will have their identity stolen nearly three times per year.
• Sunset Blvd. is loosely based on the life of silent film star Mary Pickford.